Fasteners have a variety of purposes in numerous industries. Whereas some individuals say they use screws, others could say they need to work primarily with bolts. For normal individuals, confusion arises with these two phrases. Amongst these, probably the most used fasteners are lag screws and lag bolts.
Are these two technically totally different in construction and produce other functions? Right here, we’ve got tried to present you particulars to know the distinction between lag screws and bolts and the way these two can be utilized instead of one another when wanted.
What’s a Lag Screw?
A lag screw is a screw with a hexagonal head that’s usually used to compress and be part of fracture fragments of various supplies like massive timber, wooden, metallic, and so forth. The lag screws are specifically designed to bear the intense load of becoming a member of these heavier supplies and are among the sturdiest fasteners used within the industrial sector.
The lag screws have been initially used to hitch barrel staves or lags. Therefore, these initially turned referred to as lag screws with time. Largely, the lag screws are made with chrome steel, zinc metal alloy, scorching dip galvanized materials, and so forth.
The way to Set up the Lag Screws?
The set up of the lag screw is as follows-
- First, you wish to be part of the screw with clamps together with the items.
- Subsequent, you need to drill a gap of the identical diameter because the screw shit within the materials.
- Then you need to use the gimmel level to tug the screw inside the opening and repair the joints.
- If you happen to use lag screws with hex heads, you need to use a driver bit and an influence drill to drill the screw as an alternative.
The way to Use a Lag Screw?
Lag screws are primarily used to hitch massive items of timber collectively. Since these screws are very robust, they’ll maintain up items and their excessive weight very nicely. Therefore, the screws are utilized in development websites, making ships or picket objects, and so forth. Lag screws are additionally utilized in making boats, submarines, and underwater constructions as nicely/
Lag Screw Vs Lag Bolt
Properly, lag bolts are specifically designed threaded bolts with sq. or hex heads. The lag scenes are usually ¼ inch thick to make sure these may be sturdy sufficient to bear the load. In actuality, the lag bolts and lag screws are the identical. In different phrases, one merchandise is referred with the title lag screws and lag bolts,
If you happen to try the constructions of screws and bolts, you can see that bolt bolts include a threaded machine line and may be simply fixed. However, that you must minimize threads within the materials and switch the screws to suit them within the gap.
Now, the phrase “lag” is connected to the bigger objects; most lag bolts are one inch lengthy with a thickness of ¼ inch or extra. In brief, these are greater than some other bolts; therefore, these are known as lag bolts or screws. So, if you happen to discover somebody who refers to lag bolts and one other who talks about lag screws, each are technically speaking about the identical merchandise.
What Are The Varied Varieties Of Lag Bolts?
Listed here are the widespread kinds of lag bolts-
- Silicon bronze lag bolts : are made with copper alloy and are generally utilized in picket boats. As a result of presence of copper, the boats can deal with water and associated corrosion higher. Most silicon bronze lag bolts have a hex head and are six inches lengthy. Such bolts are additionally used for high-heat environments or in locations with excessive marine situations.
- Sizzling dipped galvanized lag bolts : The chrome steel made bolts are galvanized and include galvanized butts. The molten Zinc creates a bonded alloy coating on the screws. The bolts even have a bigger threading design to make sure the galvanized coating shouldn’t be broken throughout set up. These are extremely corrosion-resistant and may be simply utilized in coastal areas additionally.
- Zinc-plated lag bolts : The zinc-plated lag bolts are made with chrome steel and a nice coating of Zinc. It makes them rust-resistant and can be utilized in common work. It’s most typical for case-hardened fastening works. You’ll find the bolts in numerous sizes. However, the zinc coating shouldn’t be highly effective sufficient, and these bolts aren’t really helpful for excessive situations.
- Chrome steel 18-8 lag bolts : These are made with 304 or 305-grade chrome steel and are extremely corrosion-resistant. Therefore, these bolts are primarily used for exterior works or marine utility initiatives. The screws are a dimension of 6 inches with a thickness of three/8 inch. On prime of that, lag bolts additionally include coarse thread with a threading sample. Most chrome steel screens include a hex head for comfort. One other model is made with 316-stainless metal with the best corrosion resistance energy and is just utilized in excessive saltwater situations.
The lag bolts or lag screws are technically the identical merchandise. These are stronger and bigger screws that mix massive timber or metal items. These screws additionally don’t require pre-drilling and final for a very long time.