Behind the Scenes: The Lego Film


Hey everybody!

My identify is Semyon Kostuchenkov. I’m a 22-year-old aspiring 3D artist from Tver, Russia. I’ve been learning Blender as a interest in my free time for about 2 years and I’m at present a scholar at Greatest Blender Course.



A greater option to describe this course of can be “constructing.” I used the Mecabricks web site to assemble the scene, and there was not a lot conventional modeling concerned. This was my first time utilizing it, however it’s fairly intuitive for anybody who dabbled in any 3D software program. I constructed a tough model of the scene utilizing solely the shot from the film as a reference.

I then imported the file into Blender utilizing the free Mecabricks Lite addon and added extra element to make it resemble the unique extra carefully.


Mecabricks additionally exports the supplies, so the one factor I wanted to do was change the roughness utilizing the reference. I used Blender’s shader nodes to make the roughness barely uneven on each brick, regardless that the execution will not be excellent, it was ok for me.

The lamp and the kitchen cabinets had probably the most noticeable fingerprints, so I needed to duplicate them utilizing geonodes.


Replicating the lighting of the scene was the principle purpose of this undertaking and the toughest one. However, to begin with, to actually promote the look and make my picture indistinguishable from the actual one, I wanted to cope with the digital camera. I attempted to analysis which digital lenses they used in the course of the manufacturing of the film, however all of their focal size values weren’t working for me, so I simply tried the whole lot utilizing the unique shot within the Background Photos setting of the Object Knowledge Properties tab of the digital camera till I settled on the worth of 44 mm.

Moreover, I turned on Depth of Area in the identical tab and used the minifigure torso because the Focus Object. 


Subsequent, I positioned a dice across the scene with holes for the home windows to direct the sunshine the place I needed it

After making an attempt a Solar sort gentle, I settled on the Sky Texture node and spent a few hours of experimenting till I discovered the most effective values.

As well as, I stuffed the scene with a dice to which I assigned a primary Quantity Scatter materials with virtually the bottom doable worth of 0.0002, to create just a little little bit of volumetric lighting. And this was the outcome.

Which I discovered to be darker than wanted, so I added a easy Space gentle on the ceiling.

And, whereas this was nonetheless darker than the reference picture, I made a decision that for the time being I lack the data to make it even nearer to the unique shot, so I finished there.


I then used my primary Photoshop abilities to paint right the render and reduce and paste the window background from the unique picture. That is the ultimate outcome.

And right here’s a clay render only for the enjoyable of it.

And that is it!

Thanks for studying my article. I hope you’ve an ideal day!

Concerning the Artist

Semyon Kostuchenkov, a hobbyist 3D artist. At present a scholar at Greatest Blender Course.